Saturday, February 9, 2013

True Happiness

I don't know about anyone else, but everywhere I look I see unhappy people. Oh they may not look that way on the surface, with a pasted smile and their hair just perfect and stunning outfit...I see something behind the outer shell. I"m not even talking about those days where you have to paste the smile on and do whatever you can to "just make it through the day" I'm talking about the day in day out facade of being happy, when really, the storm rages inside.
I have seen people try to best another-instead of being happy for them. Instead of walking our own individual journey, there seems to be a need to walk the same path as another.. and try to do it better. 
I have heard people verbally bashing another-instead of celebrating their success, they try to tear down that person because of their jealousy. I have seen people undermine and even sabotage others, to get what they want, and try to make a fool of the other person.
Why are we doing this to one another? 
Discontent
Jealousy
Self-pity
 Unhappiness

It looks different on everyone, adults..kids.. adults acting like kids...if we could just see what we do to others..and ourselves in the process? I don't think we'd continue our behavior much longer.
It isn't easy to see someone succeeding and be standing in the same spot, and its nothing new. 1 Samuel 18 talks about David and Saul's friendship, how great it was until one started to succeed above the other.
 "Saul struck down his thousands..and David his ten thousands" and thus began the root of envy that leads Saul to try to kill David.
How far will our discontent take us?

  I was working on my study this week where I read a quote in the margin by Nancy Leigh DeMoss "Happiness is not found in(or out of) marriage. No one person can meet my needs or make me happy. True joy can only be found through Christ. "
Proverbs says.. there is a way that seems right to a man but in the end leads to death. Maybe that death isn't physical, although it certainly could be, maybe its internal. The more unhappy we are, the more we die inside. Our happiness is not circumstantial. I know the discontent of financial struggles, of a frustrating job, a small house, being physically unfit, always sitting on the sidelines and never participating with the "in" crowd. We all struggle with wanting more-but what we need more of-is God.  All of our gaps-nothing can fill them. Not a bigger house, more money, a "perfect" spouse or kids, successful job or place in society.. none of that will fill your life more permanently then He can.
I think we would be more happy and content if we took our eyes off of everyone else, even off of ourselves-and focused on our Creator.  When I'm reading my Bible, and spending time in prayer-my focus gets off of me, and onto Him. Only then can I be genuinely happy for others in their journey, especially when it means its better than what I'm capable of. I can encourage others and be thrilled with their success-and you know what? I've seen people, their jobs..whatever it is they are working on-thrive. It doesn't just stick with one person, joy spreads like wildfire-and isn't that what we want?! There is so much freedom in letting go-and letting God have His rightful place in my heart. There is no one, no thing in this life that can make me feel as special as the One who sent His Son-to die on the cross for me. He gave is life for me-I aim to live mine for Him.
 Happy.

http://www.francescamusic.com/strangelydim#_=_
I've had all these plans piled up sky high
A thousand dreams on hold
And I don't know why,
I got a front row seat
To the longest wait
And I just can't see
Past the things I pray
Today

But when I fix my eyes on all that You are
Then every doubt I feel
Deep in my heart
Grows strangely dim
All my worries fade
And fall to the ground
Cause when I seek Your face
And don't look around
Any place I'm in
Grows strangely dim

Sometimes where I stand
On this narrow road
Is in a raging storm
Or a valley low
But oh

When I fix my eyes on all that You are
Then every doubt I feel
Deep in my heart
Grows strangely dim
All my worries fade
And fall to the ground
Cause when I seek Your face
And don't look around
Any place I'm in
Grows strangely dim

I don't know I don't know
What tomorrow may hold
But I know, but I know
That You're holding it all
So no matter what may come

I'm gonna fix my eyes on all that You are
'Til every doubt I feel
Deep in my heart
Grows strangely dim
Let all my worries fade
And fall to the ground
I'm gonna seek Your face
And not look around
Til place I'm in
Grows strangely dim

No comments:

Post a Comment